No To The Bike Parking Tax
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Came off on the M6

+5
R-dubya
Lockstcok
Grumpy
Piquet
shaman
9 posters

Go down

Came off on the M6 Empty Came off on the M6

Post  shaman Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:21 pm

shaman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Came off on the M6 Empty Re: Came off on the M6

Post  Piquet Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:48 pm

Heart stopping moment just watching. Must have been terrifying for you. Glad you're OK and the bike relatively unharmed. As you say, could have been much worse.
Had a similar incident years ago involving a broken down bike (not me or mine) but during clear daytime weather, that was bad enough!

Take it easy mate.
Piquet
Piquet

Back to top Go down

Post  shaman Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:29 pm

Yeah. Bike kept losing power too. Dunno if it was the cold? I had a couple of hairy moments later on. Found myself on the hard shoulder unable to get it started for a while, there was a moment earlier when it was losing power and then kicked in and I felt it slide again, but recovered it and then I came to a complete halt about 10 metres from the roundabout at the end of the M1. Shit, shit journey... Never again.

shaman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Grumpy Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:58 am

Well done on keeping it together Shaman.

Nasty place to have a spill, I hope the bike has settled down now they often do run a bit ruff after an off.

See you when we all get together next time.

Grumpy

Back to top Go down

Post  Lockstcok Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:58 am

Grumpy wrote:Well done on keeping it together Shaman.

Nasty place to have a spill, I hope the bike has settled down now they often do run a bit ruff after an off.

See you when we all get together next time.

Yeah, what he said !
Seriously scary though!………………………
And not a position I’d like to find myself in .
After the spill , I couldn’t believe you had another 3 hours to drive… *uck !

Lockstcok

Back to top Go down

Post  R-dubya Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:07 am

Hmmm... often wondered why they called them slip roads No

What godawful conditions to get caught out in

Presumably what you ideally would have wanted would've been to have gone out after the snowplough, so as to have had a clearer surface to go out on, even if it came down to following one of its wheel tracks

Glad to see you and the bike were OK to carry on the journey

R-dubya

Back to top Go down

Post  shaman Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:14 am

I was gonna wait for that snow plough and anything else, as I didn't want stuff up my back end. He didn't seem to be clearing or gritting the slip roads though.

Having watched the vid back though, I think I went too early and slipped in the snow on the divider. I was obviously trying to make sure there was nothing coming, but would have been better off looking straight ahead and following the lorries tracks.

My mirrors were getting quite fogged, as was the glasses/ visor, so was double checking with the lifesavers and I think I lost my way. Should have been able to get out of there with the benefit of experience.

But it was very cold out there and tiring, even after a break and a coffee.

Never mind. I lived. Smile

shaman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Grumpy Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:49 am

I have herd it said, “any landing you walk away from is a good landing”

Grumpy

Back to top Go down

Post  R-dubya Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:01 am

shaman wrote:Having watched the vid back though, I think I went too early and slipped in the snow on the divider. I was obviously trying to make sure there was nothing coming, but would have been better off looking straight ahead and following the lorries tracks.

My mirrors were getting quite fogged, as was the glasses/ visor, so was double checking with the lifesavers and I think I lost my way. Should have been able to get out of there with the benefit of experience.

Never mind. I lived. Smile

To be absolutely honest, that's pretty much the way I was seeing it.

It's strange how insecurity seems able to multiply itself. I'm guessing that, somewhere inside, you knew that having to turn your head to make lifesavers was actually turning out to be more of a distraction than a help: it might be worth noting that - after you get back on again - your added nervousness has got you making even more lifesavers than you were before the fall.

R-dubya

Back to top Go down

Post  Catwoman Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:08 pm

so glad you are ok after that Shaman - my heart was pounding just watching it!

I couldn't have even contemplated riding in those conditions - it's been scary enough just getting the bike out the garage onto the main road here when the weather was bad. Well done for getting back on and enduring another 3 hours. Shocked

CW cat
Catwoman
Catwoman

Back to top Go down

Post  NotEvenALondonRider Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:05 am

Very scary watching / listening.

Had similar experience at Clacketts Lane westbound some years ago when I stopped in the car - the whole service area was covered in a fine ridged but smooth polished sheet of ice about 5mm thick on the entire car-park. Not good on 4 wheels or on foot, impossible and probably lethal on 2 wheels.

And reminded me of an off in the snow on the old XJ550 years ago - black-box failure while riding on 2 inch packed snow on the way to work. Bike went straight over and slid, with me trapped by one leg underneath it. Ended up across someone's drive as they were reversing out, unable to see me on the ground and knowing that my speed (upright) would have taken me past. They hadn't seem me drop it, those were some scary moments.

My GT550 runs badly in the cold - erratic misfire / cylinder drop out, stalling at low revs. So when it's down close to freezing I have 2 plastic half oil cans which I cable tie to the sides of the carbs to trap warmth in there, seems to help. I presume they just ice up a bit. Another friend has an old welding gauntlet wrapped over his CD200 carb for much the same reason.

Glad you're OK though - sometimes it looks safer in hindsight to park up, find somewhere to kip and wait out the combination of weather and dark. But at the time it always seems the wussy option. Been too determined myself a few times and got away with it, getting more cautious as I get older!

NotEvenALondonRider

Back to top Go down

Post  NutMagnet Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:02 am

Hi

I just found a very good vid on Youtube and quite relevant to this thread.
I heard something about this 112 number a good while back but never followed it up to discover what it was about.

Here's a very good video and howto.. Watch it and pass it on.. it might save a life or even yours.

Bollix... still can't posta link... Sad

Search youtube for "Help Me" The Secrets of using 112 on a mobile phone in an emergency/accident"

Paul
NutMagnet
NutMagnet

Back to top Go down

Came off on the M6 Empty Hi Nut

Post  Hawk900 Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:13 am

You mean this 112

And to post a link right click the URL then copy the highlighted tex.

Then to post it on here; See all the little boxes above the reply box well click the one with the chain link in & another box will open up, then paste the link in the top space & add anything you want to call it in the bottom space.
Hawk900
Hawk900

Back to top Go down

Post  NutMagnet Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:09 am

Hi Hawk..

That's the correct Youtube Vid... Well worth the 6 minutes to watch..

I can't post links yet as I'm a Newbie... Embarassed

Came off on the M6 Newbie11 Rolling Eyes
NutMagnet
NutMagnet

Back to top Go down

Came off on the M6 Empty Did you know

Post  Hawk900 Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:49 pm

When you dial 112 from a mobile the emergency services can pinpoint your location via the GPS signal from the phone.

Handy if you come off on a remote country road, or walking the hills, moors & beaches, also works at sea if your in trouble in a boat.
Hawk900
Hawk900

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum